Sunday, June 29, 2008

Series: Why "Anything but country music" is not an acceptable answer to "what kind of music do you like?": Vol.1

Growing up in Texas, I heard this phrase more than any other. You wouldn't think. But to be entirely honest, I did use it myself on occasion. I'm sure every single one of you has, as well.

"So... what kind of music do you listen to?"

It's probably the most important social question of our generation, the question that determines whether the conversation is going to go any further. So you certainly want to answer it with the best possible answer. You don't want to make any bad impressions. But you don't want to seem really close-minded. So what do you say?

"Oh, anything really. Except country. I don't listen to that. ~nervous snicker~ What about you?"

So after hearing it a couple million times, I started asking folks if they had actually heard any country music. Almost across the board, the answer was a resounding "no WAY!" Well, if that's the case, how do you know you don't like country? I think it's mostly that it's just not cool to like country, or even to listen to it long enough to actually make that decision in a valid manner.

I remember in eighth grade, I had to do a project for English class. We had to 'interview' a character from any of the short stories we had read and tape it. The catch was that the replies to the questions were supposed to be in the form of music, a clip from some song with relevant lyrics. Well, I didn't have any music to use. I didn't really listen to music. So I asked my dad what to do (I was in eighth grade, I really should have known better), and he found me some old country stuff that he used to listen to way back in the day. Well, I did my interview and I thought I did a great job, and I played it in class for everyone. Bad news. My teacher - not my classmates, my teacher - responded with "What the hell kind of music do you listen to?" Needless to say, I was mortified and started saying "Oh, I can't stand country music" if anyone ever asked.

The fact is, though, I actually liked that stuff. I know I'm not the only non-hillbilly who does. And I'm going to set people straight. It is cool to like country, as long as it's the cool kind of country. And I plan to show you people exactly what that is.

A short series of posts on great country, bluegrass and americana artists is coming up for your reading pleasure and of course for the edification of the general public. Hit me up with some recommendations and I promise I'll get on it. Keep your eyes peeled for the first of the series, on The Be Good Tanyas, coming up soon.

No comments: